The production of animal proteins from cell cultures using tools from scientific fields of biotechnology, genetics, molecular and synthetic biology to create products such as meat and leather that would traditionally be produced by animals.
- A Canadian example:
- The North. More info: https://www.cellag.ca/
- Reduce the amount of Greenhouse Gases due to the reduction of livestock use for food production (i.e., milk, meat) and transportation of food.
The process of growing plants indoors in a stacked formation and a controlled environment.
- Canadian examples:
- Increase food production
- Less space or square footage required
- Reduced chemical or pesticide use
- Reduction of transportation costs
- Conservation of resources
- New employment opportunities in urban areas
Biodegradable packaging, made from entirely renewable natural materials.
- Canadian example:
- Bioproducts Discovery and Development Centre at the University of Guelph. More info: https://www.bioproductscentre.com/
- Reduces environmental pollution
- Accelerates the circular economy transition
- Processing facilities that can recycle the streams of food waste into reusable input like composts.