Food Systems in a Time of Disruption Impacts of COVID-19 on Food Access, Safety, Security, and Supply
Robustness of Canada’s Food Supply Chain
Arrell Chair in Food Business, Simon Somogyi sat down and reflected on the disruption that viruses such COVID-19 can cause in Canada's supply chain. Here is what he wrote...
Canada’s Food Price Report ‑ COVID-19 Updates
The impact of COVID-19 has impacted Canadians' relationship with food. It has caused online grocery orders to skyrocket, and panic buying of products, including flour and eggs, has worried many Canadians about food supplies and prices. However, researchers including, Arrell Chair, Simon Somogyi find that the overall 2020 food price projections remain unchanged from the original projections reported in December 2019.
Educational, Interesting, and Fun Resources About Food to Explore
Resources Bringing Us Ease and Information
This is an unprecedented time of global uncertainty.
Governments around the world, including Canada, are instructing everyone to stay home if they can. We wanted to share resources and materials that we are using to learn more about food and agriculture at this time and to share the sources that we are going to for information and updates on COVID-19.
Keep scrolling to view them all.
University of Guelph Experts on COVID-19 and Our Food System
Director of Arrell Food Institute, Dr. Evan Fraser
- Coronavirus: The perils of our ‘just enough, just in time’ food system (Conversation Canada);
- As shutdowns occur across the country, are Canada’s grocery stores able to cope? (Featured in Globe and Mail)
- The COVID-19 pandemic and Canada’s food system (iPolitics)
- ‘Serving your country’: Inside the push to keep Kraft Dinner on the shelves amid coronavirus panic buying (Featured in Financial Post)
- Lessons to take from COVID-19 for the next pandemic (iPolitics)
Arrell Chair, Dr. Simon Somogyi
- Coronavirus halts Chinese demand for Canadian shellfish (Featured in BNN Bloomberg)
- Food price report predicts restaurant sales will fall by half in 2020(Featured in Globe and Mail)
Dr. Lawrence Goodridge – COVID-19: Is take-out safe? (Montreal Gazette)
Director of Arrell Food Institute, Dr. Evan Fraser – COVID-19 and Canada’s Food System
Arrell Chair, Dr. Philip Loring – CANADIAN FARMS AND COVID-19